All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.
- Havelock Ellis
Letting go of certain relationships can be a very emotionally draining decision. However, what is even more difficult, is to actually decide to let go. You try, and you try some more, to hold on, to keep with you what cannot be. Some people let go of the relationship but aren't able to move on. They find it impossible to detach from what was, and what can never be. When two people separate on mutual consent, this affair is a little less straining. However, when you have to let go when you don't want to, life seems suddenly unfair. All you need in actuality, it strength to move forward, and that, you might get through these quotes. Words have a powerful impact; one that motivates. These quotes will definitely motivate you to be strong, take control and stay happy, because you deserve to be.
Letting Go of Your Past
Breathe. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.
- Oprah WinfreyLetting go doesn't mean giving up, but rather accepting that there are things that cannot be.
- AnonymousThe world is won by those who let it go. But when you try and try. The world is beyond the winning.
- Lao TzuTrue love doesn't have a happy ending, because true love never ends. Letting go is one way of saying I love you.
- AnonymousCourage is the power to let go of the familiar.
- Raymond LindquistCreativity can be described as letting go of certainties.
- Gail SheehyGetting over a painful experience is much like crossing monkey bars. You have to let go at some point in order to move forward.
- C.S. LewisHanging onto resentment is letting someone you despise live rent-free in your head.
- Ann LandersInner peace can be reached only when we practice forgiveness. Forgiveness is letting go of the past, and is therefore the means for correcting our misperceptions.
- Gerald JampolskyLet go. Why do you cling to pain? There is nothing you can do about the wrongs of yesterday. It is not yours to judge. Why hold on to the very thing which keeps you from hope and love?
- Leo BuscagliaLoving someone is setting them free, letting them go.
- Kate WinsletPeople have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear, they prefer suffering that is familiar.
- Thich Nhat HanhSome think it's holding on that makes one strong; sometimes it's letting go.
- Sylvia RobinsonThere's no need to miss someone from your past. There's a reason they didn't make it to your future.
- AnonymousSometimes being a friend means mastering the art of timing. There is a time for silence. A time to let go and allow people to hurl themselves into their own destiny. And a time to prepare to pick up the pieces when it's all over.
- Gloria NaylorStand up and walk out of your history.
- Phil McGrawTruly loving another means letting go of all expectations. It means full acceptance, even celebration of another's personhood.
- Karen Casey
Letting Go of Love
When I see you smile and know that it is not for me, that is when I will miss you the most.
- AnonymousI don't miss him, I miss who I thought he was.
- AnonymousThere are things that we never want to let go of, people we never want to leave behind. But keep in mind that letting go isn't the end of the world, it's the beginning of a new life.
- AnonymousWe must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the life that is waiting for us.
- Joseph CampbellWe can never turn back the pages of time, though we may wish to relive a happy moment, or say goodbye just one last time, we never can, because the sands of time continue to fall, and we can't turn the hourglass over.
- AnonymousWhen I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.
- Lao TzuYou have been warned against letting the golden hours slip by. Yes, but some of them are golden only because we let them slip by.
- James Matthew BarrieYou never leave someone behind, you take a part of them with you and leave a part of yourself behind.
- AnonymousSometimes you love something so much that it hurts to leave it, but you must. Sometimes it hurts too much to hold on to that thing you love. And sometimes you let go of what you love because it hurts, but then just sometimes you get it back and live happily ever after.
- AnonymousThe harder you fight to hold on to specific assumptions, the more likely there's gold in letting go of them.
- John Seely BrownThink about any attachments that are depleting your emotional reserves. Consider letting them go.
- Oprah WinfreyWhy do people have to lose things to find out what they really mean?
- Tommy AlbrightWhen you are in love and you get hurt, it's like a cut. It will heal, but there will always be a scar.
- AnonymousYou can close your eyes to things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to things you don't want to feel.
Letting Go of Relationships
The pain experienced during a breakup is as individual as the trillions of people who go through it.
- Tigress LuvTrust me, no past love is as wonderful as a broken heart may make them out to be.
- AnonymousThe funny thing about breakups is they point out what we didn't even know we had, but don't give us the option of going back into battle armed with that knowledge.
- AnonymousYou are always there for me and so you give me the courage to stand alone.
- AnonymousYou can take away my heart and you can take away my reason to wake up in the morning, but you can't take away my ability to take them right back from you.
- Tigress LuvHe gave me nothing, and he took it with him when he left.
- AnonymousIt's hard to tell your mind to stop loving someone if your heart still does.
- AnonymousDo not take another's bad opinion of you as the truth. Nothing others think or say about you is about you, but rather a reflection of their own reality.
- AnonymousObsession is feeling fearful that you may be losing him; detachment is knowing that he may be losing you; and apathy is the past tense of both.
- AnonymousBased on a string of bad breakups, I was forced to examine my choice of partners. Surely, that must have abolished me from any wrongdoing.
- Leo BuscagliaI can embrace myself, hold my own hand, love me. But I can't gaze into my own eyes and feel my own soul lift me up.
- AnonymousOne love isn't all-consuming, but one heartbreak can be.
- Tigress LuvEvery happy couple has at least one breakup behind them.
- AnonymousSometimes it's hard to love someone because you're so afraid of losing them.
- AnonymousI know in reality we can't be together, so I just close my eyes and you're right here with me in my dreams, you're mine forever.
- AnonymousThe dark of night does not come after the golden glow of the day's sun but before it.
- AnonymousNo one is spared the pain of rejection, except the ignorant and the fool. Which my ex just happens to be both of.
After reading the above quotes, you must have realized that at times, the best thing is to let go. Stay strong and eventually, it'll all be fine. Just keep faith.