Wednesday 5 February 2014

Famous and Important Quotes from Hamlet


Hamlet, a tragedy written by William Shakespeare, between 1599 and 1601, is regarded as a masterpiece in the field of literature. This historic play recounts Prince Hamlet's revenge on his uncle Claudius, who killed Hamlet's father, the king and seized the throne. Exploring subjects like treachery, revenge and moral corruption, Shakespeare captured the attention of the whole world with his splendid creativity.

William Shakespeare is regarded as the greatest poet and playwright. His greatness in the creative field can be seen in his spectacular works. His plays, like Hamlet and Macbeth, are still considered as the greatest works of creativity in the whole world. Even today his immensely popular plays, many of which have been translated into different languages, still ooze the same charm and captivate audiences throughout the world.

Some Famous Quotes from Hamlet

"To be or not to be - that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And by opposing, end them
."
- Hamlet

"Let me be cruel, not unnatural;
I will speak daggers to her, but use none
."
- Hamlet

"You would play upon me;
you would seem to know my stops;
you would pluck out the heart of my mystery;
you would sound me from my lowest note to the top of my compass
."
- Hamlet

"This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man
."
- Polonius

"My words fly up, my thoughts remain below;
Words without thoughts never to heaven go
."
- Claudius

"A little more than kin and less than kind."
- Hamlet

"I must be cruel, only to be kind:
Thus bad begins and worse remains behind
."
- Hamlet

"Do not, as some ungracious pastors do,
Show me the steep and thorny way to heaven,
Whiles, like a puffed and reckless libertine,
Himself the primrose path of dalliance treads
And recks not his own rede
."
- Ophelia

"Murder most foul, as in the best it is,
But this most foul, strange and unnatural
."
- Ghost

"I am but mad north-north-west.
When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw
."
- Hamlet

"Hamlet is of the faction that is wronged;
His madness is poor Hamlet's enemy.
."
- Hamlet

"When sorrows come, they come not single spies,
But in battalions
."
- Claudius

"Let Hercules himself do what he may,
The cat will mew and dog will have his day
."
- Hamlet

"A countenance more in sorrow than in anger."
- Horatio

"Doubt thou the stars are fire;
Doubt that the sun doth move;
Doubt truth to be a liar;
But never doubt I love
."
- Hamlet

"There is nothing either good or bad - but thinking makes it so."
- Hamlet

"Nay, then, let the devil wear black,
for I'll have a suit of sables
."
- Hamlet

"Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't."
- Polonius

These were some famous quotes from the greatest play in English - Hamlet. Written by Shakespeare, these quotes have successfully immortalized the play as well as the playwright in the world of creativity and literature.

Famous and Important Quotes from Hamlet Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Anonymous